The Hastings PAC supports and contributes to a number of initiatives throughout the year.
To get involved or to propose a new initiative, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Hastings Anti-Racism Committee (HARC) – The PAC is committed to taking action around anti-racism both within the school environment and beyond. The HARC was formed to gather ideas about what role the PAC can play, while working with the school district to understand how this important issue will be addressed in the curriculum. Get Involved
Speaker Series – PAC brings in various experts to talk on topics that caregivers may find educational, helpful or engaging. Further, it’s an opportunity to bring the school community together in relationship. For the 2020/21 school year, the focus has been on three topics 1) anti-racism; 2) mental health during Covid era; and 3) Internet safety. Get Involved
School Streets Pilot – Hastings is one of the chosen schools for this pilot project. The City of Vancouver, in partnership with the Vancouver School Board, aims to reduce emissions, promote active travel and improve safety. School Streets also provide extra space for physical distancing during the pandemic. Get Involved
Teacher Appreciation – Parents come together to find ways to show teachers and all staff how much the work they do at Hastings is appreciated. In the past this has included Staff Appreciation Breakfast and East Van Panto. Get Involved
Food Security – The food security committee has created a resource list of programs that provide healthy food for families in need in our community. In future we hope to support food-focused school events. Get Involved
Scholarships – Each year, the Hastings PAC grants scholarships to graduating high school students from Templeton and VanTech. Nominees must be Hastings alumni who are going on to post-secondary education and have demonstrated exemplary community service. Get Involved
Multi-Lingual PAC Resources – Translation of PAC resources into dominant languages besides English at Hastings School. Outreach to parents to help translate. Resources may include: meeting invitations, agendas, minutes, other documents (eg. What is PAC?) Dominant languages: Chinese, Vietnamese, Spanish, Arabic, Farsi, Tagalog Get Involved
Walking School Bus – The WSB not only helps parents get thier kids safely to school, it also provides leadership opportunities for senior students and for students to form connections between different grades and programs. It also provides a fun way for students to have additional physical activity on a daily basis, and to decrease the level of vehicle congestion around school. In an era of growing awareness around climate change, every participant in the WSB is taking steps forward to the planet we want to have in the future. Get Involved
Grounds Improvements – This initiative started as a need to spend surplus funds from past playground fundraising to improve the grounds of Hastings School. Improvements so far have included the beautiful painted mural, garden and outdoor teaching space installation, swing sets and bike racks. Get Involved
Communications (CSC) – The CSC coordinates the PAC website, mailing list, and social media in conjunction with the school’s communications as ways to connect and relay information to parents and guardians. Get Involved
Fundraising – Fundraising is often associated with social events/activities, though not always. It could include direct donation campaigns and grant applications as well. Past fundraisers include BINGO night, Spring Fair, Holiday Poinsettia Sale, Direct Donation Drive for specific purchase such as Technology Toolkits. Next Fundraiser: Hanging Flower Baskets for Mother’s Day! Get Involved
Latest Initiatives News:
- Help us make our school library more inclusive!As announced at the end of February, the PAC’s Hastings Anti-Racism Committee (HARC) is working with our Teacher Librarian, Erin Rickbeil and Iron Dog Books … Continue reading Help us make our school library more inclusive!
- Safe Online: Info that Clicks!Speaker Series Volume 3: Parenting Online and Parental Controls Online The PAC will present the third installment in our Speaker Series this year! Coming Tuesday, … Continue reading Safe Online: Info that Clicks!
- Inspiring Stories and ResourcesHappy Black History Month! And Happy Lunar New Year too! Hastings Anti-racism Committee (HARC) has another week’s worth of inspiring stories and resources! We hope … Continue reading Inspiring Stories and Resources
- The PAC Celebrates Black History MonthHappy Black History Month! It has been 26 years since the House of Commons officially recognized February as Black History Month in Canada. Despite history … Continue reading The PAC Celebrates Black History Month
- Speaker Series Volume 2Mental Health and Wellness Tools for Children and Families during COVID This online workshop explores the impact of COVID on the mental health of children … Continue reading Speaker Series Volume 2